Friday, June 19, 2015

How can I reach him and keep him?

http://www.internqueen.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/blog_755/images/blog/reaching-out.jpg
Reaching out might bring some spectacular results. 



After the initial introduction to Corrie ten Boom and historical background of the book, my son carried and read The Hiding Place almost every place he went.  He also continued reading the book in bed, but seeing that his interested extended beyond a morning read warmed my heart greatly and meant that a hook was in him.  Now, the problem is how to keep him hooked.   On one occasion, when we were in the car, I started to ask questions concerning the book hoping to continue stirring interest in it.  My son told me that it was difficult for him to talk to me about the book (knowing he is a boy of little words and has difficulty expressing his thoughts his response to me was not surprising).   My son's response to oral engagement put me in a little of a predicament, though.  Now, I have to be more creative in keeping him engaged and motivated to read the book since if I couldn't have a conversation with him about it.   After some thought,  it dawned on me (I had an AHA MOMENT) on some ways that might work.  I need to show him that I am interested and willing to invest my time and energy in the school assignment.   Reading the book along with him; therefore, showing value for the assignment by participating in it with him might encourage him to keep reading.   Also, communicating with him about the book through Google Docs or some other site that will allow for us to pursue a continuous dialog with each other through writing instead of talking might work better for him.  Plus, if I guide the process well, he might be able to use our communication as a way to complete the writing portion of the assignment.  Well, I better start working on my assignments.

No comments:

Post a Comment